Every eager entrepreneur asks this question—and you’re probably no exception. While there’s no definitive answer to this question, there are general guidelines that can help you sketch a rough timeline for how long it’ll take to franchise your business.
General Timeline to Franchise Your Business
Note that many of these steps can be completed simultaneously.
- Federal Trademark/Service Mark Registration: 12-18 Months *
- Initial Drafting of Franchise Disclosure Document and Franchise Agreement: 1-2 Months
- Initial Drafting of Franchise Operations Manual and Training Manual: 2-4 Months
- Attorney Review of Franchise Disclosure Document, Franchise Agreement, and Franchise Operations Manual: 1-2 Months
- Filing in Registration States: 2-4 Months
- CPA-Audited Financial Statement: 1-2 Weeks
- Web/Graphic Design and Marketing Collateral: 1-2 Months
- Identifying and Documenting Management and Tracking Methods for Key Business Measurements: 1-2 Months
With these general guidelines in mind, only you can determine how long it will take to franchise your business. If you are on a limited budget, the process may take longer. If you are quite busy running your current business, that may limit the amount of time you can devote to franchising. While FranchiseNow’s consulting services and products can expedite the process, we do not make any claims regarding how efficiently you’ll be able to franchise your business.
Having said that, if you’re ready to franchise your business—or even if you just have questions—FranchiseNow would like to start building a relationship with you to ensure you are thinking about everything you need to over the next few months! Let’s get started.
* The registration of your Trademark/ Service Mark with the USPTO is a lengthy process. Many companies in the position to franchise will already have completed this lengthy process.